Saturday, June 1, 2013

William's Eatery and Gathering Place 6/1/2013

This is the kind of little gem I truly enjoy. It's located in Yellow Springs, OH, which is one of my favorite places to visit. If you haven't been to Yellow Springs, it's a place I would highly recommend. It's a really neat little town. But I digress. I've been to William's Eatery several times, and have never had a bad meal there. Everything has always been delicious! We went today because I was craving fish and chips, specifically from William's. The past few times I ate here, I ordered the fish and chips. It was some of the best I've had in the world -- and I've had fish and chips in England.

However today, I was a little disappointed... The chips (French fries, obviously) were DELICIOUS, as was the breading on the fish, but the fish itself was a little fishy and murky tasting. It wasn't bad, but I just wasn't expecting it because all the other times I had the fish and chips from William's, the fish was very clean-tasting and not fishy at all. Today was different though. But it was still good, and satisfied my craving.

As I said, the fries were delicious. The fish and chips comes with coleslaw. The coleslaw at William's, as with everything else I've had there, is really good. Usually I don't like coleslaw from restaurants, but it's really, really good here. Probably better than the fish, but not as good as the French fries.

I decided to mix things up a little today and get a strawberry lemonade instead of my usual water or Coke, and boy am I glad I did! The lemonade was a little on the pricy side, but it was definitely worth it! It was sweet and refreshing, while not being overly-sweet. Today I found out they have Mandarin orange lemonade there. I didn't even know that existed! I'm definitely curious as to what it's like, so if I remember, I'll order that next time and give it a try!

The only complaint I have (well, I don't, but my dad does) is that the ketchup isn't the typical Heinz or Hunts. My mom and I don't mind the ketchup -- my mom loves it, but I'm neutral about it. I'll admit it's not the best ketchup I've ever had, but it's definitely not the worst either. My dad, on the other hand, hates the ketchup. I always figured that, since the restaurant is in Yellow Springs, that it was some locally-produced, small-batch, organic, all-natural ketchup. Today, my dad asked our waitress if there was anything special about the ketchup, and she replied that it was just the stuff they buy in bulk at GFS. So if you're looking for your Heinz- or Hunts-type ketchup, don't look for it here. But like I said, the ketchup here doesn't bother me, nor is it a deal breaker for this place.

I'd also like to point out that the lomo saltado at William's is very good as well. I've ordered it a few times before, and it was yummy every time. It is different than the lomo saltado I've had from straight-up Peruvian restaurants, but it was good! The sauce on the lomo saltado at William's is more vinegar- or citrus-based, as opposed to the more soy sauce-based sauces at the other places I've had it.

Here is a link to the William's Eatery and Gathering Place. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment